(1) Recite “Astaghfirullaah Rabbee Wa Atoobu Ilayh” as many times as possible, with sincerity.
(2) Try your best to wake up early before dawn to pray Namaaz-e-Tahajjud (Shab). There are fourty plus advantages in it.
(3) At any time pray two rak’at Namaaz, niyyat – Namaaz-e-Afw: In each rak’at recite Surah-e-Qadr after Al-Hamd and then recite fifteen times “Rabbee Afwaka”, then go in Rukoo, after its zikr recite ten times “Rabbee Afwaka”, then before going in Sajdah recite ten times “Rabbee Afwaka”, then in the Sajdah recite it ten times after its zikr, then in between two Sajdah again recite it ten times, then in the second Sajdah recite ten times the same, then before standing for the second rak’at recite ten times the same (Rabbee Afwaka), and pray the same way during the second rak’at also.
(4) Perform Sunnat ghusl, do Wudhoo, and recite Ziyarat of Bibi Fatima (S.A.) and then recite Istighfaar, or any Duaa for repentance. (ref. Mafaatihul Jinaan)
(5) Recite Duaa-e-Tawba. (ref. M.Jinaan or Majmooa)
(6) Recite these Surah of Holy Qur’an – S.Yaaseen, S.Tahreem, S.Waaqiah, S.Kaafiroon. Specifically, S.Tahreem carries Sawaab of Tawba-e-Nasooh.
(7) Recite Ziyarat of Imam Radhaa (A.S.) It is also a means of having our sins being pardoned.
These magnificent Duaas are also a means of wiping our sins away: Duaa-e-Mashlool, Duaa-e-Mujeer, Jawshan-e-Kabeer, Sayfi Sagheer, etc.
(9) Namaaz-e-Rasoolullaah (S.A.W.W.): Sins are forgiven and Hajaat fulfilled. Time for this prayer is preferable Friday morning, but it may be prayed on any time. (For the method of this Namaaz refer Mafaatihul Jinaan).
(10) Namaaz-e-Ameerul Mu’mineen (A.S.): Its merits are as mentioned above.
(11) Namaaz-e-Wasiyyat: To earn great Sawaab and sins forgiven, in between Maghrib and Ishaa pray two rak’at Namaaz, in each rak’at after Al-Hamd recite 13 times Surah Zilzaal and 15 times S.Tawheed. [*]
(12) Recitation of Salawaat is also a means of atonement for the past sins.
This is also very effective A’amaal to make our sins disappear from our A’amaalnaama: Perform Sunnat Ghusl then do Wudhoo and offer 4 rak’at Namaaz, in each rak’at after Al-Hamd recite 3 times S.Ikhalaas and once S.Maoozatain (S.Falak and S.Naas). After completing the Namaaz recite 70 times “Astaghfirullaah Rabbee Wa Atoobu Ilayh”, then recite the following Duaa: “Laa Hawla Walaa Quwwata Illaa Billaahil Aliyyil Adhweem, Yaa Azeezu Yaa Ghaffaar, Ighfirlee Dhunoobee, wa Dhunoobi Jamee’il Mu’mineena Wal Mu’minaat, Fa Innahoo Laa Yaghfirudh Dhunooba Illa Anta”.
(14) If one recites Surah As-Sajdah on the eve of Friday (Shab-e-Jummah) his or her A’amaalnaama (deed’s record) will be given in the right hand, and this will be an indication of being pardoned of every sin.
(15) Reciting Surah-e-Dukhaan in Wajib or Sunnat Namaaz is a way to clear our account of sins.
(16) Pray 2 rak’at Namaaz in which recite 60 times S.Ikhlaas (Qulhuwallaah…) in each rak’at after Al-Hamd.
(17) Recitation of Duaas specifically for Maghfirat can be found in Mafaatihul Jinaan and Pirmuhammad Ebrahim Trust’s Books of DUAA, which are there in various volumes.
(18) A very effective Namaaz for the forgiveness of sins is: Namaaz-e-Ghufayla. In between Maghrib and Ishaa prayers
…..;…pray 2 rak’at, in the first rak’at after Al-Hamd recite this – Wa Dhannooni Idh-Dhahaba Mughaadhiban Fadhanna Anlan Naqdira Alayhi Fa Naadaa Fidh-Dhulumaati An Laa Ilaaha Illaa Anta Sub’haanaka Innee Kuntu Minadh-Dhwaalimeen Fastajabnaa Lahoo Wa Najjaynaahu Minal Ghammi Wa Kadhaalika Nunjil Mu’mineen.
Then continue the Namaaz as usual until you reach the second rak’at, there after Al-hamd recite this:
Wa Indahoo Mafaatihul Ghaybi Laa Ya’alamuhaa Illaa Huwa Wa Ya’alamu Maa Fil Barri Wal Bahri Wamaa Tasqutu Min Waraqatin Illaa Ya’alamuhaa Walaa Habbatin Fee Dhulumaatil Ardhi Walaa Ratbin Walaa Yaabisin Illaa Fee Kitaabin Mubeen.
Then in Qunoot recite this: Allaahumma Bi Mafaatihul Ghaybil-Latee Laa Ya’alamuhaa Illaa Anta, Antu Swallee Alaa Muhammadin Wa Aali Muhammadin Wa An Taf’alabee…
here beg your Haajat ………………..
Then recite: Allaahumma Anta Waliyyu Ni’amatee Wal Qaadiroo Alaa Twalibatee Ta’alamoo Haajatee Fa As’aluka Bihaqqe Muhammadin Wa Aalihee Alayhimus-Salaam Lammaa Qadhwaytahaa Lee.
(19) Duaa of Hazrat Ilyaas (A.S.) in Sajdah: Ataraak Muazzabi wa qad adhma’tu laka hawaajiri, Ataraak Muazzabi wa qad affartu laka fitturaabi wajhee, Ataraak Muazzabi wa qad ijtanabtu lakal ma’aaswee, Ataraak Muazzabi wa qad as’hartu laka layli.
(In this Duaa the supplicant pleads to the Almighty that:
O Allaah, shall You, The Most Merciful, be happy to see me burning in fire and in great torments although I have been observing fasts in hot weathers and endured acute thirst, and I have restrained from sins to please You only, and will You be happy to see me burning while I have kept night vigils for Your worship?)
(20) To be pardoned of our sins, Imaam Ja’afar Saadiq (A.S.) said,: Everyday in the last Sajdah of the Naafilah of Ishaa, and especially on Thursday-night, recite this Duaa 7 times:
“Allaahumma Innee As’aluka Bi Wajhikal Kareem, Wa Ismikal Adhweem, Antuswalli Alaa Muhammadin Wa Aali Muhammad, Wa An Taghfira Lee Dhanbiyal Adhweem.”
(21) Rasoolullaah (S.A.W.W.) said that whoever recites these seven verses on the Friday-eve, when he shall die he shall be directly admitted to Jannat:
“Allaahumma Anta Rabbee. Laa Ilaaaha Illaa Anta Khalaqtanee Wa Anaa Abduka Wabnu Amatik Wa Fee Qabdhatik Wa Naaswiyatee Bi Yadik Amsaytu Alaa Ahdik Wa Wa’adik Mastatwa’atu Aoodhu Bi Ridhaak Min Sharri Maa Swana’atu Aboo’u Bi Ni’amitik Bi Amali Wa Aboo’u Bi Dhambi Faghfirlee Dhunoobee Innahoo Laa Yaghfirudh-Dhunooba Illaa Anta.”
(22) Insistance in a request and keeping asking continuously gives favourable result. The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.W.) said, “A servent of God says: O God! Forgive me. But God turns away from him. Again he will say: O God! Forgive me. God turns away from him the second time. The man again says:O God! Forgive me. Here God says to the Angels: Don’t you see My servent? He asked Me for forgiveness while I was turning away from him. He askekd for forgiveness for the second time. I turned away from him again. He asked for forgiveness for the third time. My servent realized that no one but Me forgives the sins. I take you as witness that I have forgiven him.”
(23) Reciting Surah-e-Takaasur at bedtime saves one from Fishaar-e-Qabr. [*]