Compiled by Ayatullah Dr. S. Fadhil H Milani, London
Q- What are the conditions for Istighfar?
A- From Imam Ali (A.S.)
Someone said before Hazrat Amir al – mu’minin, peace be upon him:
“astaghfiru’llah” (I ask Allah’s [swt] forgiveness), then Hazrat Amir al –
mu’minin, peace be upon him, said: Your mother may lose you! Do you know
what “istighfar” (asking Allah’s [swt] forgiveness) is?
“Istighfar” is an elevated status, which stands on six supports.
* The first is to sincerely regret one’s past deeds.
* The second is a firm resolves never to repeat them,
* The third is to fulfill all the rights of owners in order that you may
Come to Allah clean, and with nothing left to account.
* The fourth is to fulfill every obligation which you have ignored so that
You may now do justice to them.
* The fifth is to eliminate any flesh, which has developed out of unlawful
Earnings, so that you may remove it by grief (of repentance) till the
Skin touches the bone, and a new flesh grows between them.
* And the sixth is to make the body feel the rigor of obedience, as it
(Previously) tasted the sweetness of disobedience.
On such an occasion you may say “astaghfiru’llah”.
“Man is influenced by the faith of his friends. Therefore, be careful
of whom you associate with” – Holy Prophet Muhammad (saww)