Mukhtar ibn Abu Obaidah Thaqafi built an enclosure around the grave, in the form of a mosque and erected a dome over the grave. There were two entrances to this building.
12th August, 749
A roof was built over a part of this mosque and two entrances were added during the reign of as-Saffah.
31st March, 763
The roof was demolished during the reign of al-Mansur.
11th November, 774
During the reign of Mahdi the roof was reconstructed.
22nd June, 787
During the reign of Al-Rashid the dome and the roof were demolished and the plum tree which stood near the grave was cut down.
25th October, 808
During the reign of Amin the building was reconstructed.
15th July, 850
Mutawakkil demolished the buildings and ordered that the land should be ploughed.
17th March, 861
Muntasir built a roof over the grave and set up an iron pillar near it, to serve as a landmark for the pilgrims.
8th June, 886
The roof was demolished again.
23rd March, 893
The Alid representative built a dome in the centre, with two roofs, on either side and an enclosure with two entrances.
19th August, 977
Adzd ibn Boweih rebuilt the dome, the surrounding galleries and constructed a screen of teak wood around the sepulchre. He also constructed houses all round the shrine and erected the boundary wall of the city. At the same time Imran ibn Shahin built a mosque adjacent to the tomb.
10th June, 1016
The buildings were damaged by fire and the Vizier, Al-Hasan ibn al Fadi rebuilt them.
4th February, 1223
Nasir le-din-Illah reconstructed the screens of the sepulchre.
18th Sept. 1365
Sultan Owais ibn Hasan Jalairi remodelled the dome and raised the walls of the enclosure.
24th Feb. 1384
Ahmad ibn Owais erected two minarets covered with gold and extended the courtyard.
26th Feb. 1514
When Shah Ismail Safawi visited the holy shrine he built a sacrophagus of the inlaid work over the grave.
5th Nov. 1622
Shah Abbas Safavi constructed the screens (darih) of brass and bronze and decorated the dome with Kashi tiles.
15th May 1638
Sultan Murad IV, when he visited the holy shrine, whitewashed the dome.
8th March 1742
Nadir Shah visited the holy shrine and decorated the building and offered valuable presents to the treasury of the shrine.
7th July 1796
Shah Muhammad Qachar covered the dome of the shrine with gold.
14th May, 1801
Wahhabis attacked Kerbala, spoiled the screens and portico and looted the shrine.
21st Nov., 1817
Fateh Ali Shah Qachar repaired the screens and plated them with silver. He also plated the centre of the main portico with gold and repaired the damage done by the Wahhabi robbers.
16th May, 1866
Nasiruddin Shah Qachar extended the courtyard of the shrine.
21st February, 1939
Dr. Syedna Taher Saifud-din, 51st Dai-el-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra community offered a set of screens of solid silver which are fixed in the shrine.
29th January, 1941
Dr. Syedna Taher Saifud-din, 5lst Dai-el-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra community rebuilt the western minaret.
20th Dec., 1948
Syed Abdul Rasul Khalsi, Administrator of Karbala acquired the houses in the neighbourhood of the courtyard according to the price fixed by the government, to build a road around the holy mausoleum and to extend the courtyard.